Safeguarding is defined as:
Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is defined as:
- protecting children from maltreatment;
- preventing impairment of children’s mental and physical health or development;
- ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care; and
- taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes
(Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE), 2020).
Child Protection refers to the situation where a child is suffering significant harm, or is likely to do so, and action is required to protect that child.
Sea Mills Primary School and Children’s Centre fully recognises the responsibility for child protection.
Everyone in our school shares an objective to keep children safe by:
- Providing a safe environment for children to learn in.
- Supporting children’s development in ways which will foster self esteem and independence.
- Identifying and responding to children in need of support and/or protection.
- To establish and maintain an ethos where children feel secure and are encouraged to talk, and are listened to.
- To ensure that all children have effective means of communication with more than one adult in the school and centre.
- To give opportunities for class and group discussions of thoughts and feelings in an atmosphere of trust, acceptance and tolerance.
- To include in the curriculum activities and opportunities for PSHE/Citizenship which equip children with the skills they need to stay safe from abuse.
- To ensure safe recruitment practice and the checking of suitability of staff and volunteers to work with children.
- To follow the procedures set out by the Bristol Safeguarding Children Board (BSCB) and take account of guidance from the Department for Education.
To find out more about our Safeguarding Procedures please read our Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy.
The School and Children centre’s Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) is Mrs Sian Randall. The Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead is Andrew Kinnear. The safeguarding Governor is Jenny Winfield. The Local Authority designated officer (LADO) is Nicola Laird. Her contact number is 0117 9037795.
Mr Howard Davies is our e-Safety officer