There is a direct link between the time a child is at school and the progress that they make.
Sea Mills Primary School follows the same term dates as Bristol City Council. You can find these dates on our website. A written request for permission for absence, in the case of significant need, can be sent to the Headteacher throughout the year. Medical appointments should be made for holiday time wherever possible.
Pupils need to be in school by 8.45am Lateness can cause distress and upset to pupils and essential learning takes place at the start of each day.
Attendance and lateness is monitored on a daily basis and where concern is evident a member of the Senior Leadership Team will be in contact with you to see if additional support is needed.
Schools are now prohibited from authorising any leave in term time; unless there are exceptional circumstances.
If your child requires exceptional circumstances leave, you must first ask permission from the headteacher, by completing and a ‘Request for Authorisation for Absence’ form available from the school office, and returning to the school. Only requests made on this form will be considered; please do not send letters, or emails.
- Please do not make arrangements or commitments for your child’s absence before authorisation has been given.
- Requests for exceptional circumstances leave will only be considered two weeks before the date of leave to enable the headteacher to consider the items below and no leave will be authorised retrospectively:
- How much education your child has already missed through illness or arriving late.
- Have you requested exceptional circumstances leave before?
- Can this this leave be taken at another time?
- Is this unavoidable?
- You will receive a reply notifying you if your request has been authorised or not authorised, soon after your form has been received.
When holiday is taken and the school has not authorised the absence, the school may request that the Local authority issues a Penalty Notice – more information is available from school office.
When might a Penalty Notice be issued?
The school may issue a Penalty Notice to a parent in one or more of the following circumstances where more than 8 sessions of absence are recorded in 10 school weeks. There are 2 sessions per day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.